From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 14:29:40 -0600
> I've sometimes wondered whether one can reliably/accurately
> check the moisture content by measuring the specific gravity --
> something that can be done with simpler & cheaper tools that a
> refractometer. Anyone know?

Yes, that was the old method.  However it is difficult and messy.

You can run a the rounded side of a spoon over a comb that is tilted
and squeeze out enough honey to fill a small jar without damaging the
comb much.

If an identical amount of  store-boughten honey is placed in an
identical jar and both inverted simultaneously , you can see which
bubble rises faster.

If yours is slower, your honey is thicker, thus ready for harvest.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>