From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:35:30 -0800
So would you advocate requeening the colony in late summer with a queen cell?  This would give the colony a vibrant new queen who (I would hope and suspect) would be fired up to lay lots of eggs going into fall, which in turn, would supply the colony with lots of young bees.

As our SE Missouri honeyflow pretty much poops out in mid-July, I've toyed with the idea of requeening with a young queen or queen cell, then feeding a pollen sub and syrup to account for the nectar dearth.  The industry has made some new advances in nutritional supplements and I'm very pleased with one product in particular from this past spring.

Our fall flow is so fickle, it's not worth banking on.  Then our fall weather tends to be quite pleasant and I've watched a lot of consumption of honey stores that fall feeding is almost a mandate for me.

My preference is to winter in a brood/medium, story-and-a-half.

Grant
Jackson, MO