From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:31:22 -0800
Dave Cushman writes:
The end result of this is that small drones will mate with
more or less any size of queen, whereas larger drones are
less likely to mate with small queens.

If we have a situation whereby AHB are small and EHB are
larger the AHB genes should proliferate at the expense of
the European bee genes.

Reply:
Exactly, So to keep ones own European bees, then the
artificialy enlarged combs/foundation then become a
detriment to keeping better European stock, which then when
placed back onto a clean natural sustainable system again
including SC sizing helps to keep you better able to
control your stock lines and also breed down anything
detrimental. So is then bigger better as was thought for
the past 100 years or more then weighing the benefits
against the detriments? What was gained vs what has been
lost to our industry worldwide? That to me is a huge
question.....

Respectfully submitted,

Dee A. Lusby
Small Cell Commercial Beekeeper