Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:59:13 GMT
>>Tom ... until he is able to prove how long those ferals have been in the tree ...

As I recall his articles in Bee Culture, there are no beekeepers in the vicinity of the woods he's been studying.  Of course, swarming leaves the majority of mites behind in the old nest.  Perhaps these ferals survive by swarming.  There can be several factors involved in the survival.  A combo may be needed for survival.  I am fascinated by the fact that Tom reported finding more ferals from year to year.  Either his technique is getting better :) or they are indeed expanding.

>>Give me one of those supposedly varroa tollerant ferals and I will let you know in a single season how well they handle varroa.

In a managed apiary?  I have put feral queens on Pierco frames and varroa got the upper hand within 3 years.  I think the undisturbed natural nest is a key factor.  I like the bitten mites in the fall Dennis reported.  I rarely see damaged mites in my hives.

>>... one never knows the hives for sure in your area.

This is true.  The same goes for the ferals I am sure.

>>I would love to believe you but ferals are the big unknown.

Bob.  I am only reporting my findings which, although encouraging, are not statistically significant.

>>I would consider hives which have survived 3 years as possible survivors (even with deformed wings).

My hives at the end of the 3rd season amounted to a single deep full of bees.  I had to use OA or they would not make it to the next season.

>>...I would add two full frames of drone comb and leave all next season. Most likely all will crash...

I believe mine would crush with so much drone comb.  I am planning to set up an outyard specifically for feral queens I'll get.  I'll start out with standard foundation and try different attempts at inspectable natural nests in vertical equipment...  I may be chasing my tail with this.  But looking for the holy grail is fun... and educational.

>>Dann Purvis would raise queens ... even if showing signs by then of PMS (with added varroa pressure) but I would not.

Are you at the point with any of your bees where they survive with this kind of varroa pressure from season to season?

>>PMS is the big unknown in my opinion. I have seen hives with a low varroa count crashing with PMS!

Sounds like it would be best to attack the virus instead of the mite.

Waldemar