From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:43:59 -0800
--- Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Our researchers told us years ago that when a varroa
> tolerant bee was made
> available ( like over five years ago  with the
> Russian, hygienic and SMR
> stock) that many beekeepers would start claiming
> success for snake oil
> treatments instead of giving the real reason credit.

I hope the researchers told you the “real credit” goes
a natural existing trait that's likely been around for
thousands of years and first described by Rothenbuhler
in 1964.  Termed 'hygienic behavior', it is said to
have evolved in the honeybees as a mechanism to
protect their brood against disease, and thought to be
the primary natural defense against AFB.  And my best
guess it that it’s maybe been around a bit longer than
the researchers smr bees were.

I even have a quote from a Ph. D research student,
that seems to understand where the credit really goes.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/uni/projects/taplab/lmmres.html
“Honeybee Apis mellifera colonies have evolved diverse
and elaborate defence mechanisms to protect their
brood, adults and food against a broad range of pests
and parasites ranging from viruses to vertebrates. One
such mechanism is "hygienic behaviour".”

So Please, let's start giving the real reason credit!

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
Small Cell Beekeeping
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'
http://www.biologicalbeekeeping.com