From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 08:30:22 -0800

> >IMO, the two should be offered separately since bees normally are able to
> pick and
> choose between the two basic nutrients which are used for very different
> purposes,
> in varying ratios at differing times of year, and by different bees in the
> hive.

I'm in total agreement with you Allen.  I am not recommending a generic
feeding program for everyone, especially for beekeepers in Canada whose
bees are confined by cold weather for long periods.  I would need to see
actual data from experimentation to suggest any recommendation.

Please realize that winter beekeeping for half of all managed colonies in
the U.S. revolves around almond pollination, and bees free flying in
winter.

I'm interested in developing feeding strategies for specific bees under
specific conditions.

I was simply asking for tips on the mechanics of producing a hard sugar
block without cooking the sugar.

Randy Oliver