Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2017 12:43:37 -0500
In light of the recent discussion about pollen feeding in the fall and the
possibility of causing problems if fed too late, what should be the cut off
time for fall pollen feeding to get the best bees without harm to the bees
(late brood and not developing long lived bees)?

My guess it is related to first killing frost, when most all the pollen
producing plants are killed or go into dormancy. So should you stop feeding
pollen at that point or can you go longer?

One local person has been teaching that you can feed well after the killing
frost as we do get warm days after that and "you want to keep the bees
busy" which, after the recent finding would seem to be counter productive.

I do not feed pollen/substitutes at all but after the recent discussions it
looks like fall pollen feeding is something that I will add to my
management. I do feed sugar syrup, mostly when we have had a dry fall.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine