From:
Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 01:32:50 -0400
What about the SO2
Is this not pertinant?
>Since acetic is hard to find I wonder
>if SO2 would disenfect? Would certainly be cheaper

So the nucs procede as they should,
the 5th was only 1d following
No apperant mortality, appear recovered, weak
A few are capped now, I imagine I'll see more tomorrow.
I'll certainly watch at months end

There is one interesting set of observations
They say crow is best et warm,
I certanly have humbled myself
Killing  _stupidly_ two Q's
The 1st was normal, 2 q in 1 hive
(damn invisable Russians)

The other was unusual several ways
The hive was a loss this spring, the cluster was OK
but the Q was dead, not a suprize, she had a red dot
So I swapped a shallow frame with her daugther
and the vigin emerged ~apr3.  This by far the earlist
I have ever had a Q. I doubted she could get bred
1st drones ~may10 this year
Well on may 11 I saw eggs & 1d & 2d larvae
Said -5, may 6 started laying, just over 1 month,
where did the drone come from? Or did it?
The cappings will tell
So looking again may12, to my suprize only eggs & 1d larvae
At this point I had a brain lock, thought "I'll boost it"
but failed the execution, I should have made them walk in
So of course there are no new eggs, she was laying as well
as she had warm, < 1frame eggs (3.5 part shallow)

The next 3days the observation is same
Diminishing eggs & 1d larvae, none older

No QC from "this" brood, early QC is on imported frame
(again from daughter, daughter is very slightly infected-STR)
(The imported frame does not appear to have mortality)
Imported frame has some older larvae, I'll check that it caps or dies
I will inspect tomorrow, even in rain (forcast)
I guess I won't get to see the cappings of this Q!

Is it mortality or drone brood?
Would they eat _every_ drone larvae?
Does dying at 2d implicate the nurse bees?
If the imported frame larvae cap implicates Q?
(they were older larvae)
Is this a symptom of X: absence of older larvae,
(lots of eggs and young larvae present)
and the same 2days later?

I certainly regret killing that Q
even if she was infected, as seems likely.

Clearly no drones over-wintered,
there must have been a few early ones

I think I'll put new Q in but tape candy,
only let her out when observations are done
eg mortality, QC completion, more than 1 QC?
Will she become infected??
Shortage of Q's  in Ont -- suprize, suprize

dave