From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 16:29:58 -0700
>> We have been over this and over this.  There has been *no* universal
>> upsizing of bees in the Americas.
>
> Perhaps I missed the announcement of some sort of compelling proof
> in support of Allen's statement, if so, I'd love to hear about it.

The key words are, "universal", "of bees", and "Americas" (plural).  If you
understand these words, and can parse what I said, little proof should be
requiired.

On the other hand a proof of universal and enduring upsizing of bees, even
in the  U.S. alone, is not at hand--AFAIK, and I have been looking.

We all know that foundation has been made in a range of sizes in various
places and for various purposes.  We all lknow some scientists tried
upsizing bees by various means.  We all know that much commercial foundation
is larger than some of the cells some bees would build if left to their
devices.  What we don't know is that these efforts have had much--or
any--effect.

Moreover, we all know that bees are smuggled here and there around the world
and also move on their own.  And, we know that the USDA has imported some as
well--several times in relatively recent history.

Going furrther, there are many feral and primitive hives throughout the
Americas, including areas adjacent to the U.S. southern border..  The bees
now moving in and established in many Southern US areas have migrated up to
these areas, and they have been feral for portions of the trip.

Sure, foundation has been upsized and downsized and every-which sized, but
the bees?  We have all kinds scattered around the U.S. from various sources
and importations.  Has any one effort had lasting effects?  Someone, tell us
how that can be.

Is the most popular current foundation size optimal?  Is one better than
another?

Is *any* foundation good for bees?  Is *any* foundation good for the
beekeeper?

My opinion is in the archives.

allen