From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2018 23:04:22 +0000
"The most productive in my environment is often only
successful due to hybrid vigour"

I doubt very much that anyone in history has ever seen one example of hybrid vigor in honey bees.  In the first place hybrid vigor, while talked about a lot, is actually a very rare phenomena.  In the second place to see hybrid vigor requires a combination of luck and mating two very highly inbred lines which are either closely related or else mating two entirely different species.  I know of no evidence at all that anyone has ever made even one highly inbred line of honey bees, much less two.  Some day we may understand why things like hybrid vigor and inbreeding suppression happen.  Unfortunately, today we really do not even have what could be called a decent rudimentary understanding of either.  What we do know for sure in both cases is the popular explanations usually bandied about are total fiction.

Dick