From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:18:36 -0500
Hello All,
I have been burned a few times following researchers advice through the
years.

The most notable was my article on HFCS vs sucrose.

Commercial beekeepers at the Austin ABF meeting wanted me to meet with a rep
from the Weslaco Bee Lab. So I agreed and we had an hour discussion.The
hypothesis (based on  research) was bees lived half as long when fed HFCS
than sucrose. Commercial beeks had heard the presentation at the AHPA
meeting and wanted my input.

I looked over the studies and heard the presentation but was still skeptical
so I decided to drive to Weslaco, Texas and look over the entire project. I
found the cage studies done correctly and could not argue with the results.
Still can't!
I went through three layers of USDA red tape for permission to publish.

I lost a good friend which was one of the largest suppliers of HFCS in the
U.S. by doing the article as he said the cage studies proved little and were
rejected by commercial beekeepers when first done in 1974 by the Tucson bee
lab.

H. Bell ( Horace Bell Honey) said the cage studies were simply not enough
proof. As he had been feeding HFCS from two 5000 gallon tanks for decades.
Advised against the article.

Still I was stubborn and published the research and conclusions and in my
opinion converted most of the industry to sucrose. My supplier friend had to
scramble to move to sucrose. He lost serious money.

Now due to the high world prices for sugar many commercial beeks have
returned to feeding HFCS for all but winter feed.

All I did was published controlled experiments on caged bees. I can not
today argue with the repeated results of caged bees fed HFCS living half as
long as caged bees fed sucrose but I today do not believe HFCS harms bees.
Most of us are back feeding the cheaper HFCS.

I regret the most losing a close friend in one of the largest bee supply
houses and if reading maybe we can mend our issues next time we meet.

He sent me an advertisement this spring with my correct address but the name
was something like "Mr. Benedict Arnold" so I know he is still upset at me
even though the article was years ago!

bob

"ready to mend fences with the supplier"