From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2008 22:51:55 -0700
Peter Borst writes:
 What I have provided is independent corroboration that 5.0 mm cells are too small, that A. I . Root knew this, that the established average size for European bees was and is  5.2 to 5.3 mm and that 4.9 is appropriate for African bees.

Reply:
It is not too small if the 5 cells seen is within an inch when measured Peter, for it means an average was taken and there is smaller, and even Prof Baudoux went into this early on with charts and graphs back in early 1920s/1930s laying out both worker and drone sizes. Also established average size means a center size except for one thing..........more forget. the measurement system for doing had to be established and the old rhomboid measurement system was set aside used early on for a more linear one that then was almost like a slide of hand for making one set of measurements done early on, fit a more modern enlarged on sorry to say and this I don't think is really explained to beekeepers, even those in many schools studying. Also established means set by man and not following what seen in Nature. and if 4.9 is appropriate for african bees, then this means a set figure vs another also........

So much room for meaning?????? of what you are saying IMPON

Dee A. Lusby
P.S. and I haven't even gotten into Wedmore and Phillips for what they saw early on.