Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2011 06:54:45 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
>Anyhow, it seems that no matter how carefully we write, people
>misunderstand what we write in ways that make no sense.

Hey, I like waffles, too!

Seriously, for what it's worth, that problem is not limited to BEE-L.  I write technical documents to the USFDA, Health Canada and others for a living, and it is amazing how language gets misunderstood, no matter now carefully I spell things our and repeat them.  On BEE-L sometimes the misunderstandings lead to frustration, but sometimes they lead down interesting new paths.  Anyway, I followed the discussions about your losses with great interest.  Had nothing of value to add, so I kept quiet, but you certainly have my condolences.  Losing one or two hives hurts, and I can only imagine what it is like to lose a whole yard.  Same goes for all the commercial guys out there, who have had to deal with massive losses over the years.  I don't know how they do it.  FWIW, I got the link to Jean-Pierre's Flash Formic method from your website (you cited it last year in another discussion on BEE-L).  Don't know if you have tried it.  But, if you are going to be cleaning out and setting up hives again, you might want to try setting up a few with the solid bottom board/tray/screened bottom board combination and give it a try.  You get counts and treatment at the same time with minimal effort.  And, these days I am all for minimal effort - if it works.

Take care.

###################################
Bill 
Claremont, NH
+43 21 25  -72 23 01
+43.35687     -72.3835
CWOP: D5065
Weather Underground: KNHCLARE3
HonetBeeNet: NH001

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html