Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2012 11:57:55 -0400
>Benzaldehyde is the primary chemical component of bitter almond oil, also
>known as the most likely "secret" ingredient of BeeQuick.

Carbolic acid was the best repellent under all conditions and universally
used for decades, but was banned for various reasons, none of them particularly
valid IMO, but like many bee chemicals, being a generic and non-patented, nobody
defended it against fear-mongeringcreeping and government bureaucracy.

As with all chemicals, however, careless and over-use could and did result in tainting
honey on occasion.  Some honey houses and bee equipment reeked of carbolic.

Butyric Anhydride http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_anhydride was the
replacement and it was nearly as effective, but was also prohibited after a while.

Benzaldehyde was sold freely and routinely as a bee repellent in the in the middle
of the last century , but was not very popular due to its temperature sensitivity
and tendency to stun, rather than repel bees under some conditions.

For the record, on this list, Dr Fischer has specifically denied that benzaldehyde is
an ingredient in BeeQuick, but as I understood the reply, did not indicate whether
benzaldehyde or a closely related chemical might be a product of it in use.

Searching the Archives for "benzaldehyde" or "repellent" (substring checked)
should bring up lots of good info including that interchange.

Search at
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?REPORT&z=4&1=BEE-L&L=BEE-L&X=373EF435BC5175A9DC
---

Unfortunately, the archives are broken into weeks or months and are therefore
harder to search than they should be and following threads is not easy since they
break at month ends.  I had hope that we would consolidate the logs into
quarterly or annual logs and did some successful preliminary work to show proof
of concept, but the project has stalled.

Nonetheless, using the advanced search at http://www.bee-l.org will return plenty
of hits and if you scroll down, a contextual snip is presented for each hit.

As with any perennial topic, a quick search of the archives will often turn up more
detailed info than posting a question.