From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 23:33:15 -0500
The trouble is that your 'improvement' is not confined to your own hives
and
> drones from your imported stock will cross with your neighbours' queens
> resulting in some very bad tempered bees.

I think the same could be said for trying to breed a better bee. other
beekeepers stock hinders your breeding program.

For my purposes I never cared for Amm but I think some should be kept for
old times sake. Every hive of A.mm I ever kept had traits I did not care
for. The first bees I owned were A.mm. Always trying to sting. 48 years ago
when I started there were plenty of A.mm bees around. Not now. No talk of an
A.mm import.

 In America what we call Hereford cattle is a far cry from the tiny cattle
kept pure across the pond. We still have got a few ranchers which keep what
the U.S. calls pure registered Herefords but with current registration
standards they are hardly pure. The standard allows for a unregistered bull
brought in and then the offspring bred back to registered stock until able
to be registered pure again. its called the one eighth rule.

Still after all these years Herefords are still susceptible to "Pink Eye".
In my opinion always will be. Herefords  & Angus used to be small cattle (
when I was a kid) but now are huge (thanks to the way cattle are roistered).
Not unusual to see a 2500 lb. angus bull these days.

Breeding within a pure race of bee or cattle has its limits.

Many commercial beekeepers like a carniolan/Italian cross. I can't even say
the number of these I have tried over the years. I stick with the Italian
bee. Carniolans differ from year to year and queen producer to queen
producer. Last years NWC were very poor. Reason unknown. Supercedure was the
highest any of us had seen. The Italian bees from the same queen producer
were great like they always are.

Having been through most colonies by now its hard to find a last years
marked NWC queen. The marked Italian queens are about 90% still in the
hives. Supercedure costs me money in lost production. The reason I mark
queens and at times buy marked queens.

bob