From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:39:14 -0600
Tim said:
> Like Allen, I prefer the black Pierco 1 piecers.

I think the plastic might work in certain operations but personally I do not
know of a single commercial beekeeper in my area which uses all plastic.

I think you and I discussed the issue before on BEe-L but if not I might add
a few points .

The first is breakage. Ends still at times break off then you have a junk
fully drawn frame. Maybe you have a solution for broken end frames? I can
repair a wooden broken end right in the bee yard in a few minutes. Properly
prepared ( good fit , nailed & glued) and *not old* wooden frame ends are
pretty tough but we do break a few being honest.

Next the one piece plastic frames need spaced when used with a division
board feeder. Not such a big deal when using 10 frames and feeding the bees
through a hole in the top.

Slide 10 plastic together in a brood box and then slide ten wooden frames
together and note the difference.

Next although there are methods to mark black plastic frames I easily put
the *year* a frame is placed in service and rubber stamp each frame with my
bee farm name. I can tell at a glance the history of a frame. Theft of
frames in almonds is common.( personal experience)

Next if I see a comb I want to change to foundation in the bee yard I can
hit the frame with my fist and replace with a new sheet of foundation. I
carry the new foundation in my side box and keep a box for the old
foundation in the same side box. One pull through the groove with my grove
tool is usually enough to insert a new foundation.

In field repairs make sense.  Putting off till tomorrow in the bee business
leads to huge stacks of equipment needing repair!

I renew the old plastic  foundation over the winter.

I do not bring the frames in as the majority of beekeepers do and create
this huge stack of frames needing repair. I repair in the field most of the
time and only bring in the foundation. Once scraped usually around 75 frames
will fit back into the original box the came in.

How many one piece plastic frames are in your waiting to be repaired pile
Tim?

I also have the option of keeping the fully drawn brood comb and using a new
wooden grooved frame. usually you get a couple mashed wax places but  I have
done many.

Also plastic one piece in new made up singles shift when moved to the yards
and lids need removed and the frames aligned.

Ok Tim try and convince me why I would be better off with all one piece
plastic frames in your opinion. Allen might help. I try to keep an open mind
on these things.

bob