From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 15:41:37 -0000
http://www.drawwing.org/

>However...  what I was really wondering is whether there is any way that a
>bee keeper can identify the subspecies he has?  I know it is not the end of
>the earth to know but it might be an interesting exercise to find out.

We have been using wing morphometry for years in our selection process.  We
originally used CBeeWing, but moved to DrawWing in order to automate the
placing of the landmarks.  There were some bugs in the earlier versions of
DrawWing; these were corrected after correspondence with Adam Tofilski (who
wrote DrawWing), although it still consistently places landmarks 0, 3, and 5
just a little off their correct positions and occasionally misplaces 18.
For this reason we now recommend using it in Step-by-step mode so that any
errors can be corrected - it is very quick and easy to do.

I have also put together an Excel spreadsheet (MorphPlot) that will take the
raw results from DrawWing and produce scattergrams and distribution charts.
It has full instructions for using DrawWing and MorphPlot on the first
sheet.  There are links to DrawWing and MorphPlot here:
http://www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/Links.htm#Morphometry
Both programs are available free of charge.

The usefulness of wing morphometry to us is that it gives an indication of
purity when selecting breeders - we try to get as near to pure A.m.m. as
possible (two steps forward and one back here in the Midlands - if you are
lucky ) so are looking for a tight grouping of points in the lower left-hand
corner of the scattergram.  I am not convinced that a wide scatter of points
would tell you very much - other than that you had mongrels!  I guess that
expensive DNA analysis might provide more information, but I am not sure
that it would have anything other than curiosity value.  Certainly the bees
that I saw in Thailand were a complete mix as I understand that queens have
been brought in from many parts of the world.

Best wishes

Peter