From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 22:33:53 PDT
Andrew Weinert wrote asking about canola - pollination and honey.  I thought I should reply for the Australian situation as it differs greatly from Canada in many respects.  I was ticked off recently for giving advice on queens that was claimed to be inappropriate for the northern hemisphere so I don't want Andrew to think that he is on a good wicket as that described by Allen Dick.

> We would appreciate information and comments on the following
> questions
>
> 1     Is there a premium or penalty on canola honey?

In Australia there is no premimum when sold to the packers.  In fact there is a penalty.  If you can establish some niche market for canola honey you might be able to get a premium.

> 2     Are there any special characteristics  about canola honey?

As described by Allen, candying is a big problem.  A lot of beekeepers in Australia often put back more canola honey on the hive than they extract because it has candied in the frame.  This could cause problems when you next extract.  Of course there is the problem of busted frames if you have a radial extractor.

> 3     Is is worth while collecting the pollen from canola crops for
> re-sale or for feeding to bee's later?

Probably not.  If however there is a lot of turnip weed in the canola crop the pollen will be quite good quality to feed back.  Straight canola pollen has question marks on it.  The other possible problem is if the crop is sprayed with pesticide.

> 4     How much is charged per hive for pollinating canola crops and how
> long is the pollination period?

As Allen explained you will not get anything for canola that is produced for oil seed.  The hybrid seed production is where you can charge a fee.  However, you will get nothing like Allen's fee.  In Australia you would probably be looking at A$45 tops.  This is about US$30 on today's exchange rate.  This is because we have such a long honey season that pollination is not competing with the major honey flow you will get for the year.  Also there are the discount kings out there who pollinate at whim for a ridiculously low price when there is nothing else around.

> 5     What is the recommended  stocking rate for canola.?

Depends on the seed company who are producing the hybrid seed.  More hives per acre means more cost or so they think.  For broad acre crops it depends where you can put them down.  Space for bees is often limited as the farmer has ploughed every square inch for palnting.

Watch out for drifting.  I have seen very bad drifting on bees placed on canola because there are no real landmarks around.  Just acres and acres of yellow flowers.

> 6     Is much propolis made from canola crops?

Hives I have seen working canola produce no more propolis than usual.

> 7     What is the improvement in yield due to pollination of Canola?
> i.e. to the farmer.

There is none if you talk to the farmer.  He is doing you a favour by letting you put the bees on the crop.  Under good conditions of moisture and sunlight, I would imagine there must be an increase in yield but the farmer will not admit to this.  It is like sunflowers.  Studies in Australia have shown that there is an increase in yield of sunflowers for oil production with bees and good conditions, particularly moisture.  However, talk with a farmer and he will tell you he still gets a crop, bees or not.

> 8     What special preparations are necessary  to prepare the bees for
> the best results for both the farmer and the beekeeper.

From your point of view, you need bees that are expanding the brood chamber.  From the farmers point of view he needs to look at his spraying regime.

One thing to watch out for is that the bees I have worked on canola here in Australia often get a little mean.  It is a funny situation.  If you stand up they will buz your veil.  When you bend down over the hive they do not buzz.  Don't know why but be prepared for this if working canola.  Take them away to the next honey crop and you will not recognise them as the same bees that were working canola.

The other disadvantage working canola is that bees tend to swarm and for some reason often don't raise a queen to replace the one that swarms..  You have to be at them to stop swarming.  We often have beekeepers asking us for queens to re-queen hives that have come off canola queenless.  Often these hives do not recover well enough for a honey crop in that season.  No walk away method of re-queening here.

Some beekeepers will only commit half their bees to canola.  They keep the others away because of the swarming.

Some points to consider for the Australian conditions

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA