From:
Madeleine Pym <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:38:38 +0100
At a conference I attended today I met a woman from Tanzania who runs an
agency involved in helping women in Tanzania to provide support and an
income for themselves and their children. They have secured a farm and one
of their projects is growing mushrooms on banana leaves discarded by
farmers.

I suggested keeping bees as another possible income source and have said I
would contact the agencies here in the UK that are involved in developments
of this nature, but I have a preliminary question before I begin. What is
the flora of Tanzania like and will it produce a profitable crop, i.e.. is
it worth it?

The woman I spoke with mentioned a region that gave very good and abundant
honey (but I have already forgotten just where) but she is not a beekeeper.
Any beekeepers out there able to provide me with some background
information.

Also any one know of other organisations that can provide funding for such
ventures. I am going to contact 'Bees for Development' and VSO (Voluntary
Service Overseas) over here. I know there is another organisation in the UK
but the name escapes me. Any help here. And are there any other
international agencies who might support such a project

Madeleine Pym