From:
Michael Moroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 17:36:40 -0500
Regarding looking for mite resistance from feral colonies:

I know of a wild colony that lives in the wall of an abandoned house (or at
least did last fall) in an area with rather harsh winters.  Judging from the
stain around the hole bees have been living there for quite some time.  If it
has been the same colony the whole time it may be a genetic gold mine as far as
varroa resistance is concerned.  If they're still around this spring, is there
any way for me to try and "tap into" this colony (without hacking into the
wall)?  If I put some sort of bait hive nearby, and should the colony swarm,
will the swarm likely to be "lazy" and choose it or will they be more likely to
choose another site a mile away? How do I make a bait hive attractive to a
swarm?

-Mike