From:
"<H. Sweet>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 01:14:18 -0500
Dear BEE-Lers,
 I just received this letter from Dadant:

Dear Bee Supply Dealer:

We have been hanging on as long as we could. But in the end, it
would appear that it is true. Sometimes, you simply are your own
worst enemy.

After years of publishing a retail catalog, we have decided to discontinue
doing so in 1997. As the supply industry becomes more and more
competitive, we find we have no choice but to try and maintain a fair
share of the market that is available. A survey indicates that our own
retail catalog is quite often our competitors best tool. And as the only
remaining publisher of a retail catalog we have become vulnerable to all
other supply manufacturers and distributors. So at long last, we feel the
time has come when we too must put our best foot forward and take on
the major competitors on a more level playing field.

It was a difficult decision to make. But the knowledge that most supply
dealers build their business on the service that they provide to regional
customers that we quite often do not have acces to, made it a bit easier.
Most are establishing your own retail prices now in order to cover actual
costs and variations in price due to your own purchasing methods.
And most establish their own prices in an effort to be more competitive
with the same competition we face. By taking advantage of commercial
wood prices, wax working rates, and quantity discounts, you will no
doubt be able to establish a price list that will keep your customers
satisfied.

1997 promises to be an interesting year in the bee keeping industry.
Honey prices are at an all time high and the press coverage given to
the loss of honeybees as pollinators will hopefully result in an increased
demand for supplies and a renewed interest in beekeeping at the hobby level.

Sincerely,
Nick Dadant
Dadant & Sons, Inc.

My opinion as a bee supply dealer:

First of all, Dadant is king Bee in the U.S. bee supply industry. They
have quality products at mostly reasonable prices and I've received excellent
service from all offices I've contacted.
I distribute 100+ Dadant catalogs per year. They're the only catalogs I
distribute because Dadant has about 80% of my business.
Some items I buy elsewhere because Dadant doesn't have everything
and some items are just priced too high.
Every bee supplier in the country that I know of has a catalog.

Glory Bee Beebox
Walter Kelly
Brushy Mountain
Mann Lake
Western Bee
Mid Con
Even A.I.Root still has a little catalog.

Dumping the catalog would be a BIG mistake I believe. I also send some
customers direct to Dadant. People shop around, you can't hide your
high prices. I just took it for granted that A.I. Root was out of my price
range.
Everyone knows that Walter Kelly's prices are hard to beat retailwise.
I buy Dadant wax from other companies because buying it direct is so
expensive. I never could figure that one out.  Dadants woodenware is
excellent but a bit pricey. Dadant carries little in the craft department
besides nice colored wax sheets, bricks and wick. How about some orange
wax sheets Dadant? I have to have it shipped from clear across the country.
Plastic jars are the same quality and cheaper elsewhere, and glass q-line
jars are out of sight no matter where you shop.

Don't go the way of the wild bees Dadant.

H. Sweet