From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:06:55 -0700
--- Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> We have used Marla Spivak hygienic drones for a
> cross but the hybrid did not
> improve. We tried other hybrids. Still no
> improvement. Poor brood viability.

I have seen brood viability that looked a bit spotty
to me but in my hygienic colonies that actually tested
acceptable at above 85%.  This is a bit puzzling to
me, and I am still advancing in this area because I
hate spotty brood, and yet somewhat acceptable still,
because IMO this is reflective of a highly developed
hygienic sensitivity in removing fondress and not
necessarily indicating poor queen viability.  IMO, In
most instances 'overall fecundity in the broodnest'
(ref. Bro Adam) would be a better judge in queen
performance.

> Come on lurkers not worried about your reputation!
> Speak up about your
> experience!

There are some lurkers that have spoken up about SMR,
but not on this list.

Since Jim intended this for public consumption by
mentioning it on a 'public forum', I will mention it
here.

First, let me get the formalities out of the way as it
seems to be the practice we are adopting here.  I
dearly admire Spivak, Huber, Bro Adam, Dee Lusby,
Harbo, Jim Fischer, Dave C and the many others, far
too many to list, for their work helping the
beekeeping community. I love them all dearly, and
comments made on this list are never intended to
offend or disrespect anybody and are only intended for
promoting discussion and progressive thinking!

Jim Fischer has mentioned on Beesource, in the
"Beekeeping 101" forum, post #1737

Stated in the "What's "SMR"?" thread:

The question was "What's SMR?".

Jims answer was:

"Superior Marketing Rationale"!

"By convincing beekeepers that they are "selecting"
for some trait or other, bee producers (not to
be confused with actual breeders, who really DO
selection and crossbreeding in an organized manner
to produce a small number of superior queens)
give the (incorrect) impression that they are
adding value to the product, but avoiding
objective metrics that the beekeeper could use
to evaluate the actual queens sold by the
producer."

(Jim and I don't always agree, but I do value his
contributions to discussions as riveting and
challenging to defend against at times.)

I don;t know Jim's current position on the subject of
SMR, but I suspect that any criticism by him expressed
here on this list might be softened a bit due to not
wanting to disagree with the 'friends'.  But I do
agree here that SMR is "Superior Marketing Rationale"!
 And I hope speaking one's own thoughts would continue
to be encouraged on this list always.
Best Wishes

http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=search

If you search: