From:
Kathryn Kerby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2015 17:24:11 -0800
Jerry, I'd be interested in more info about your online bee class.  Our
local beekeeping club meets at 7:30pm once a month, right when we're in the
thick of farm chores here.  All their classes are at that same time as well,
so it's been hard to get involved with that club.  I'd basically have to
hire someone to cover while I was gone, which hasn't been practical.  So an
online class would be fantastic for my continuing education.

Also, on the topic of ebooks, I've done transcription on the side for many
years, and I've already published one ebook to date.  Working on a second.
If there were any hard copies or electronic files for old books that someone
would want to put into ebook format, I could do that.  However, we may not
need to.  Google is working with a company (whose name escapes me now) to
get older books into ebook format to share with the world.  It might be the
Gugenheim Foundation; we're talking books which have passed into the public
domain.  I've already found several of the older ag classics that way.  It
might be as simple as suggesting the book to them and then waiting our turn.
I can check into that aspect of things too if there's interest.

As for the general thread about which books, thanks to all for your
suggestions.  To answer a few questions: my first goal for our own hives is
honey production, but I'd like to get into splitting hives to increase our
own hive counts.  Pollination of various farm crops is of course a
requirement for what we do, but so far we're already basically getting all
the pollination we need from the combo of existing hives and wild
pollinators.

Secondly, regarding how many books, I'm in the philosophical camp that you
can never ever have enough books.  So by all means, if you like 'em, list
'em.

Third, I love a good reference book just because of what it represents - a
whole lot of background info.  So feel free to list those as well, even if
they're not focused just on honey production or amateur beekeeper info.

On a final note, I'd actually also be interested to know if some of the more
common books available today are generally good but with one or two faulty
trends or specific flaws.  Making note of those, I could then still use the
rest of the information in those books.

Thanks all!

Kathryn Kerby

Frogchorusfarm.com