From:
John Keim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:33:18 -0600
Hello all:

I have been following with interest the screened bottom board discussion.

I understand the concept, and the reasoning, but if the screen may be
installed year 'round, why could my bottom (assuming I am placing colonies
on a pallet) not consist of simply .125" X .125" hardware fabric cut to the
footprint of the Hive body, then be placed under it?

Then could one place a .375" X 1.5" X "width of the Hive body" spacer board
with a small piece of .25" hardware cloth stapled to the end grains to cover
the gap (mouse guards) under the leading edge of the hive body (traditional
entrance site) for winter/summer use and have the advantage of inclining for
condensate run-off during over wintering? Before major flow occurs, the Hive
bodies could be staggered for the field force. Sticky boards would not be as
easy to install, however.

This would be fairly cheap to build/implement, especially if it lessens the
necessity of treatment.

I apologize if my writing is less than descriptive. Please advise me of the
error of my logic.

John Keim
Keim Apiaries
Fairview, Kansas