From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 11:43:15 -0500
Hello Rick, Nancy and  All,

Still not giving me much to work with.

> Several of our large commercial operators claim losses of up to 50% of
> the colonies over the winter and early spring.

These operators better wake up and start attending meetings and get up to
speed. I SUSPECT MITES AS THE UNDERLYING PROBLEM.

 Samples have been sent to

> Beltsville for analysis.  Symptoms look like 'Hairless Black Syndrome"
> (Chronic Paralysis or Acute Bee Paralysis).

This is the same response beltsville sends for PMS. Mites are the problem
and the viruses are the secondary problems.

It really would not make a difference which of the above were found in the
samples unless these bees were *free of mites*.

It would appear Beltsville is calling the above Acute Bee Paralysis.

 Here is what Bailey has to say about the virus he isolated in 1963.
Quote pg. 1110 "The Hive and the Honey Bee"

Acute Bee Paralysis , according to Bailey, is a" laboratory phenomenon,"
Although the virus can be detected in apparently healthy bees from many
parts of the world , it does not normally cause overt signs of paralysis and
occurs in the same numbers in apparently healthy bees AS IN paralyzed
individuals.

In other words viruses can be detected in most bees but cause death mainly
after the ravages of mites. Paul Harvey saying viruses killed 40-50% of bees
in Alabama is kind of like saying "wax moth killed my bees" in my opinion.

Dr. Norman Carrick is doing research on viruses in the U.K.
Dr. Carrick believes bees can live with varroa IF we can find a way to
control the secondary virus infections.  I personally find the idea time
consuming and expensive but respect Dr. Carrick work and feel fortunate to
receive updates from time to time on his valuable research.

I stand ready to defend my position on the subject. Researchers? Beltsville
Bee Lab?  Did APBV kill 50% of those bees in Alabama OR am I correct?

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison