From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 08:35:32 EDT
Ok, so I'm being a contientious beekeeper, pulling supers at the
beginning of the fall flow so I can get the Apistan strips in to ensure
that I'll have bees next spring.  Problem is, now that I still have a
late summer population in my hives and no honey supers, the hives are
CROWDED!  Most have massive bee beards on the bottom boards and I'm
concerned that I will be encouraging late season swarms to ease the
congestion.  I'm torn between giving back an empty super (which
conflicts with Apistan treatment) and just letting the bees bear with
the overpopulation.  If a hive were to swarm this late in the season
it will be hard pressed to recover in time for winter, yet if I don't
protect against mites the hives may be succeptible to similar losses
as last year.  This is a real quandry.  Any suggestions?

Aaron Morris - thinking, "Damned if you do, damned if you don't!?"