From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 12:11:40 -0700
 Hello All,
   I have been reading this list and everything else I can get my hands on
about the mites.Since I lost 50 hives last winter myself , I do not want
to repeat the loss this winter.
  Beekeepers are looking for a silver bullet to solve all of there mite
problems. It will not happen any time soon.Beekeeping has changed and we
have to change with it or we are out of business. We know all of the above
, but we have people missusing apistan , which can hurt all of us in the
long run.When Max told us to follow the lable instructions and did give us
some info about the tests that the company did , we have to follow the
directions. I would rather have no added chemicals in my hives, but I have
no other good choice. Even with the use of chemicals we will still loose
hives. I have come to the conclusion that we need good queens in the fall
and plenty of healthy young bees to winter over.The books have told us
that for years.We need to pay more attention to each hive in the fall.We
need to help other beekeepers in our areas , so we can cut down on mite
levels around us.We have lost most of the wild bees already , so we need
to keep our bees as clean of mites as possible.This part is not easy. It
takes time and money to do it the right way.Cut no corners and don't jump
for any product that has not been approved.For those that think that
Formic acid will be approved soon for the in the US. Don't count on it, I
had to work with the EPA for 2 years on PCB's because they came up with a
5,000 page book on the control of PCB's.The EPA will not just open the
door to beekeepers with an acid that you need gloves and a resperators to
handle.This is a strong solution 75 or 85% is nothing to take lightly.My
own thoughts are to stay away from strong formic acid. It will have
negative affects on hive pheromones. But we do have some beekeepers
putting other compounds on there bees and killing them.We had a post of
someone using the Mite Solution on his bees by the instructions he was
given and lost all 25 hives.
  We have researchers working on the mite problem.We need to help support
them and get the congress to understand what is ahead of us if we loose
many more of our pollenators. We need joint work with all researchers
around the world. We are all in it together and I think we all love the
Honeybee.We can't keep loosing 25% of the worlds honeybee population
without having a world food problem.Facts are facts and we need to get
the truth out to everyone.We have outstanding researchers all around the
world and they need to be listened to , when they tell us what to do.Why
have them if we don't follow what there research has come up with for us
to use.
  Beekeepers need to be educated about what they need to do to keep bees
with the mites.The monthly publications have had all types of good
information in them over the last few months.The problem is , only a small
percentage of hobby and small beekeepers get these publications.Beekeeping
has changed and all beekeepers need to get the new rules of the game.We
all need to help beekeeping as it changes and extend a hand to others so
all can still enjoy beekeeping.
 Very Best Regards
  Roy