From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2011 12:29:49 -0500
?Another entomologist reply to Doug from the entomologist list.

I post as I was going to reply similar to Doug's post but see no need now.

  Doug states: "There is still *no* credible evidence that cell phones, pesticides, or genetically modified crops have anything to do with CCD...". I have no opinion about cell phones or GMO crops regarding CCD, but I think it would be a gross oversight for any entomologist to disqualify pesticides from the list. After all, insecticides, which are widespread in many areas, are designed to kill insects and other invertebartes. Also, trying to make a healthy living on a landscape carpet bombed with herbicides can't be a good thing for a hive to confront.

  "CCD" may best be considered a syndrome, and may be caused by a suite of genetic and environmental factors which may vary in time and space. For example, the main factors causing "CCD" in 1869 may significantly different from the ones causing any declines in the same region today.

  Cheerio,

  James Bergdahl

    I read the entomology list (made up mostly of people with degrees in entomology) and only post when a commercial beekeeping question come up. I think I have only posted around five times.
    Bees are only rarely discussed. Mostly other insects and employment offers for entomologists.

    bob h.