Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:53:29 GMT
>>-- "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Anyone know of any online references to this?  Are these microorganisms found exclusively in the hives or can they be re-introduced into the hives with the spring pollen?

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=223733
is an interesting study on the effect of fa, oa, and hfcs on some fungi:
"Given the competitive nature and high-sporing (conidia) activity of these species, our results suggest that alteration or disruption of the colony mycoflora can occur by use of thee compounds. This may indicate a possible link between compound application and incidence of bee fungal pathogens."

...also, lots of references cited in our paper at:
http://www.BeeUntoOthers.com/NoBeeIsAnIsland.pdf

note that there are over 8000 microorganisms found in a healthy bee hive...each with it's own tolerance for acids, temp, osmotic pressure, etc.

a few other interesting facts i've come across:

1.  formic acid is used to encourage lactic acid bacteria in the creation of silage (at least according to basf, who manufactures fa)...also gilliam cites other studies that show irradiated pollen inoculated specifically with lactic acid bacteria produces a beebread that is unattractive to the bees, as well as lacking in nutrition (it is postulated that yeast is important here).  think of a small pond "fertilized" to the point where there is an algae bloom that chokes out other organisms.

2.  in addition to the fa test we did, we also tested oa.  we saw similar results.

3.  in a recent nova episode profiling e.o.wilson ("lord of the ants"), he detailed an experiment where he fumigated a bunch of (i think mangrove) islands.  the goal was to determine if/when the islands would return to their previous levels of habitation and biodiversity.  he said that the number of organisms came back to the same levels...but the specific organisms were not the same.

deknow