From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:12:29 -0400
In the combs from skeps, these two orientations were equally frequent  (Thompson 1930).

"Equally frequent" means to me that the bees were not making any choice
between the two methods of attaching comb to a top bar.	They started
building, and whatever fit was what they ended up with.

Hmm. Skeps, it was. No top bars. When studying top bars, the majority started building the walls down perpendicularly.

> I remain amazed that anyone would accept any claim that any complex geometric structure was "built with intent" by an insect

This reminds me of Ruth Rosin's arguments that insects couldn't possibly be intending to communicate information with the dance, insects are not intelligent enough. But if you have a problem with intent, leave that out. The bees instinctually build comb the way they do, they instinctually dance the way they do.

It isn't about intent. It doesn't matter if they are conscious of it. We all know that there are many things we do perfectly well without being completely conscious of it, like driving or playing a sport. Usually we are better at doing things when we are not self-conscious.

The question is whether bees build planes or curves. This observation was made two hundred years ago, and I don't believe all the engineers at RIT can change it one speck:

"Each cell has, you perceive, six sides, or is hexagonal, as it is called: this form unites the advantages of being flat sided, with that of being so nearly circular, as to leave very little space unoccupied when the body of the bee is within it.

"There are other equally skilful contrivances in this comb, which we should have attempted in vain. Each cell must, you know, have an opening at one end to admit its inhabitants; the bees, therefore, with true economy, build a double comb, in which ranges of cells are placed back to back, one bottom serving for both sets of cells.

"This method of building unites to perfect neatness and economy, great strength and firmness, which you will find peculiarly necessary when you hear how delicately thin they build their waxen walls, and what a store of honey they pack up in each cell.

"If we had been the architects, we should, doubtless, have fancied that flat bases would have served every purpose, would have required as little time, as little trouble, and as little wax, as any other kind. Not so our rival masons. To economize their wax, the hard earning of many and many a day's gleaning from many thousands of flowers, they have discovered the superior advantage of a pointed or pyramidal base, which enables one set of cells to fit into the opposite set."

Johnstone, Christian Isobel (1830) Scenes of Industry, Displayed in the Bee-hive and the Ant-hill;: With a Brief Description of the Wonders of the Insect World