From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 18:08:13 -0500
For a couple of years I tried to be frugal by fitting honey super frames
with only a strip of foundation as a starter.  It would be maybe an inch
and a half or less wide, and several could be cut from one sheet of
foundation.  To secure each strip in the top bar groove, I cut some squares
of cardboard/corrugated paper about 3/4" square.  I would fold these in
half and shove them into the groove (3 per frame) adjacent to the
foundation with the flat end of my hive tool.  The pressure was enough to
hold the strip until the bees fastened it. I found this to be very quick
and easy.

Several of my medium honey supers are now full of "natural" combs
constructed in this fashion, and it is virtually all nice drone comb.
Although my original intention was to use these for cut-comb, after a
couple of seasons now the combs are strong and well fit for the extractor.
BTW many frames outfitted this way have been cut for comb honey, and by
leaving a bit (1/4 - 1/2") of comb along the top bar the bees will usually
build another set of straight combs the next season.  (9 or 10
frames/super)

Why not just let the bees construct natural comb if you want drone comb
(for mite trapping or whatever)? They seem to welcome the opportunity.