From:
David Verville <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 15:37:00 -0500
>Queens are programmed to swarm in the second year, and it's very difficult
>to stop them.

 >[log in to unmask]                                   Dave Green
>Dave's Pollination Service         Eastern Pollinator Newsletter
>PO Box 1200, Hemingway, SC    29554

Would you mind explaining the above statement in a little more detail?

I was under the impression that queen breeders used non-swarming behavior
as a criteria when selecting breeders.
I have also heard that swarming is probable one of the easiest traits
to "breed" out of bees.  Southern queen/package dealers need millions and
millions of bee each spring to meet orders.  Therefore they breed queens
that build up extremely fast in the spring. Although these queens
build up rapidly, they are also carrying the swarming trait, and when
congested, swarm.
Ever have a hive just busting at the seams and not swarm?
While others 1/10th the size cast off swarms all summer long?
My opinion.
Dave Verville
att!mvcss!mvdfv