From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2017 08:55:16 -0800
Thanks for the post Trish.  The most successful long-time professional
beekeepers are also continually experimenting and watching what others do
(although they are generally a lot more parsimonious with what they are
willing to invest in a hive).

In my own family operation I recently told my sons that we need to take a
second look at everything we've already tried over the years and
dismissed.  In fact, we are currently experimenting with several different
hive configurations and management methods.

What I find of interest is that (as Roger Morse used to point out) there is
little under the Sun that has not already been tried by some beekeeper
somewhere.  Equally of interest is that most who make their living with
bees settle upon well-proven equipment and methods that have barely changed
since the invention of the movable-frame hive, the smoker, and the
extractor--back in the 1850s.

The last thing that I'd want to do is to discourage recreational beekeepers
from experimenting.  However, I do suggest that they first make an effort
to understand basic bee biology, the physics of heat and air flow, and a
bit of chemistry if applicable.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA