From:
Greg Hankins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 08:38:53 -0400
>I have one super that has a 1" entrance drilled in it.  I bought it that
>way from a retired beekeeper.  The hive with that super has produced more
>honey than any others that I have.  Everytime I go to that hive there are
>bees fanning for all they are worth from this entrance.  The aroma of
>drying nectar is overwhelming at this hive, I love that sweet smell.  Maybe
>there is something to this...

Sue Hubbell's "Book of Bees" mentions this kind of "top" entrance. She is
working, I believe, in the Ozarks. How far North does this type of thing
make sense? I'm in NC close to the SC line.

On a similar note, what kind of climate and other considerations would
argue for  using a single brood box for over-wintering, vs. two deeps or
one deep and one medium or shallow super?

Greg

Greg Hankins                    Montgomery Packaging
[log in to unmask]                 Troy, North Carolina
Voice: (910)576-0067            Fax: (910)576-0367