From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2017 23:53:46 -0400
a Charles Linder snip...
Here in the Midwest we use a "no bake" version of the candy boards quite a bit,  sheet of newspaper and a few pounds of dry sugar.

my comments..
on some forum sites called the 'mountain camp' method... which I guess in some way I may have inadvertently named while trying to generate some conversation in the winter time with some yankee beekeeper.

I should point out here comparing 'mountain camp' with candy boards is a bit of a stretch.  Feeding methods have (historically) been referred to as stimulate or substitute.  Techniques like mountain camp which use dry sugar falls outside this traditional classification and are more like emergency stores...  that is they are better than no stores but at the first sign of a spring flow the bees will toss the dry sugar out the front door like trash.  If the season proceeds in a normal and predictable fashion the dry sugar has preformed it's essential function.

Steve Taber might have suggested (did in at least one of his little articles in the ABJ decades ago) that cutting communication holes in the outer most comb or going to a narrower but taller bee hive would have been a much more logical fix for the problem of winter time starvation.  A candy board would be the best kind of feed insurance but sadly here we also have ants which makes this a not so workable solution.

Gene Ash