From:
Andrew Matheson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 09:03:34 +1200
Someone recently posted questions about using carbon dioxide for wax
moth control, so I have dug out some old references on the subject.
(Well, from something I wrote in 1980; that seems old and makes me feel
old).

"Cantwell et al. (1972) tested the effectiveness of carbon dioxide as an
agent for killing wax moths in comb honey.  Laboratory tests showed
that exposure for 5 hours to a concentration of 97.2% carbon dioxide at
38C and 39%RH killed all stages of G. mellonella.  The lower
concentration of 83.9% could be used, but had to be maintained for 28
hours.

"The practical applications of this method were tested (Jay et al., 1972)
when a fumigation chamber mounted on an articulated truck were used,
and an average CO2 concentration of 98.6% was held for 10-12 hours.
Caged adult G. mellonella suffered an average 97.8% mortality.  The
mortality of other developmental stages was not tested in this
experiment."

I suspect that further application of CO2 fumigation against greater wax
moth was limited by the need to use fumigation chambers and the lack of
results against juvenile stages.

Does anyone know of tests under inexpensive material such as
polythene, or trials against larvae, eggs and pupae?

Andrew

References cited:

Cantwell, GE; Jay, ED; Pearman, GC; Thompson, JV (1972) Control of
greater wax moth Galleria mellonella (L.) in comb honey with carbon
dioxide.  Part I. Laboratory studies.  American Bee Journal 112(8):
302-303.

Jay, EG; Cantwell, GE; Pearman, GC; Thompson, JV (1972) Control of the
greater wax moth Galleria mellonella (Linnaeus) in comb honey with
carbon dioxide.  Pt II.  Field studies.  American Bee Journal 112(9): 342,
344.