From:
jimmy odom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2011 08:06:21 -0400
Hey Bee-L ers'

I am trying to bait a colony of bees out of a 1 story ranch home.  The
homeowner had foam insulation sprayed into the attic a couple of years ago
and this insulation is the expansion type (great stuff).  The space between
the rafters and the walls in the attic have been insulated with this stuff
and in some places it is very thick.   The bees are entering at the right
hand side of a small gable where one roof line intersects with another.
 Where the bees are, is almost totally inaccessible from the inside the
attic.   I have closed their entrance down to approx 1 to 2 inches with calk
and I have placed a platform that matches the pitch of the roof so that I
can place a full sized Langstroth hive body with-in 12 to 16 inches of the
entrance.  I have made a device, from window screen material that is shaped
like a long funnel, (appx 10"), and my plans are to adhere the wide end of
the screen funnel against the 1 to 2 inch entrance with the spout end going
up to with-in about 6-10 inches from the hive entrance placed on the
platform.  I expect that when the bees leave their nest and exit through the
screen/funnel,  that they will not be able to find their way back into the
house.

I understand that a bait hive should have some brood to attract the
returning foragers.  I guess my question is, "Should the bait hive be
Queen/Right?

Any help from experienced BEE/L er's.?

lovethislist
jimmy odom