From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:34:35 -0400
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>, Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:48:42 -0400 writes:

“Steve seems to be suggesting (forgive me if I'm wrong Steve) that
commercial beekeeping does not need any rules or regulations, that it is
best to let market forces determine which beekeepers will live and die.”

   You are wrong, Ted, and I forgive you.  It’s not that I am against
regulation per se.  I just don’t see it coming to our rescue any time
soon.  No one seems to be able to agree on what the problem is, and there
are conflicting interests in the beekeeping industry that make settling on
what to do about anything pretty difficult.  Also, even though I have my
doubts about the wisdom of large scale migratory beekeeping and modern
monoculture agriculture in general, I don’t think the case has been made
yet that doing away with migratory beekeeping, or banning imports from
Australia will make life a lot easier for the rest of us, your particular
case being the obvious exception.  That leaves the market and its effect on
good and bad beekeeping practices.  I am saying that those effects will be
shown to be pretty direct when it comes to beekeeping.  Not perfectly
direct, but more direct maybe than we have yet realized.  At a certain
point, a point that may already have been reached, the cost of making some
of these more bizarre practices work will be too high.  Emotional tirades,
therefore, may prove to be as unnecessary as they are ineffective at
getting people to see the light.   I hope that clarifies my view of the
situation a little.

Steve Noble