From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 16:53:56 -0700
Allen:
Thus, except for those "organic" beekeepers with a low unit
cost of production (of which I imagine there are relatively
few, percentage-wise ) a mass adoption of "organic"
production methods would be bad news for the current group.
 How about that?

Reply:
Allen, as the circle goes round and numbers grow and
concepts become again mainstream isn't this what is
supposed to happen anyway? Also personally I have never
seen the nitch market you say except in local sales to
chain health food stores and those buying direct, as I am
commercial and one of the few that sell in bulk and in bulk
I have always had to bear the common price over the years
or other as offered. But then too think hard Allen for
population expansion and less area for agric production
will be in the formula for pricing increases,and/as packers
cannot keep things low in USA to 1980s style indefinitely.

So to me what you say makes sense! Am I in that odd ball
nitch? with bulk pricing,Yes. So what does it say of market
and wanting to do it right for the bees? Cannot have it
both ways and go on now can we.

 I do know that clean sustainable beekeeping must become
mainstream again for industry to survive the long haul. So
questions to you in final is will it still be called
organic once mainstream is reached? Then being mainstream
will all the certs and fees be necessary when other with
treatments one would think for human health reasons should
be watched more and to me then become the cert and fees one
to keep control over.

Just food for thought.....

Regards  :>)

Dee