From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 07:23:58 EST
This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the BEE-L list at
CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU.  It has been edited to remove HTML formatting.

------------------ Original message (ID=6C5B98) (89 lines) --------------------
From: [log in to unmask] (David Eyre)
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:27:54 -0500
Subject:  Varroa Collapse

> about 5 years ago), We are both trying to be prepared for when
>the infestation reaches our respective areas. This being so we are
> monitoring for the presence of varroa, and I would suggest that the
>evidence is that there is about three years from first infestation to
>collapse of colony.

I regret to inform you, from personal experience this statement is
incorrect.

Varroa entered our area late last year, and from finding it to colony
collapse was only a matter of weeks.

Our hives were inspected for our Queen breeder certificate in May,
nothing in any hive. We intensly manage our hives, lots of openings,
brood and bee removal, grafting etc and saw nothing until mid Sept, then
I spotted one Varroa in a mini mating hive.

Within two weeks hives were collapsing with MASSIVE varroa infestations.

When the smoke cleared and we had time to take stock we had lost 6 hives
from one yard, all together in a line, others close by had Varroa but
but only low infestations.  Interestingly all the hives lost were angry
ones, due for requeening and one with an old queen kept for her
genetics.

We believe that angry bees are robbers, and don't produce more honey,
they rob other hives, and in this case brought back massive amounts of
Varroa from failing hives.  When Varroa first arrives in an area and
you have angry bees, they will spread it faster from other hives
previously infected and in a later stage of collapse.

My advice, watch very, very carefully, and get rid of all angry hives.
We thought we had a good lookout for Varroa, and still nearly missed
it's arrival, another week and all that yard would have been winterized
and lost to Varroa come spring.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>
http://www.beeworks.com
This months special:-Furniture Polish Kit