Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2013 17:58:29 -0500
Hi all,

I've just had a rather odd thing happen (at least it seems odd to me).

My wife brought home a stray dog with a chronic flea infestation.  I don't know all of what was done, some vet performed treatment, frontline, and a couple of different flea shampoos of varying quality...all over a period of about 5 months.

Recently, the vet prescribed a Seresto collar...this is a continuous release (8 months) of flumethrin and imidacloprid.

Ever since, it's been on my mind to mention to some researcher that they should look at beekeepers using these products and what the exposure might be regarding bees.

...but that's not the issue at hand...

The label that comes with the collar (which is the official label) states:
http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenewals/documentsubmit/KellyData%5CAK%5Cpesticide%5CProduct%20Label%5C11556%5C11556-155%5C11556-155_SERESTO_SMALL_DOG_8_10_2012_1_44_56_PM.pdf  (this matches the label that came with the collar)

" As with any pesticide prod-
uct, do not allow small children to play with the col-
lar or refl ectors, or to put them into their mouths.
Avoid contact with eyes, skin or clothing. Wash
thoroughly with soap and cold water after fi tting
the collar. People with sensitivity reactions to the
ingredients of the collar should avoid contact with
the collar."

In contrast, the Bayer Animal Health Website states:
http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/1931.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2719&cHash=002a9ad72d2bd1d0e853679388e1e176

' No specific risk mitigations are considered necessary except the standard warnings and hygiene measures which are foreseen for medicinal products and which are addressed in the user instruction: “Keep out of the reach and sight of children. Keep the collar in the outer packaging until use. As with any veterinary medicinal product, do not allow small children to play with the collar, or to put it into their mouths. [[[Pets wearing the collar should not be allowed to sleep in the same bed as their owners, especially children.]]]People with known sensitivity to the ingredients of the collar should avoid contact with the collar. "'

...Note the section inside the [[[]]].  The website clearly is stating that this is a quote from the 'user instruction' (the quotes starting from 'keep out of the reach of children to the end are put there by Bayer).

The dogs sleeping in the bed are exactly why I don't want fleas...and why I'm concerned that Bayer seems to think they should tell me not to let the dogs sleep in the bed even if they don't tell me outright on the label.

I thought this would be a good question for the help line...so I callled it.  ...they wouldn't even hear what my question was without a first and last name and zip code.

The label is the law...but when the manufacture tells you that there should be stronger warnings on the label than those that exist on the label, it's probably smart to listen.  I'd love to know what the continuous release levels were like...the collar is supposed to last 8 months and by weight seems to contain 1.25g imidacloprid and .56g flumetherin.  It also claims:
"trans z-1/z2 ratio:
max 66% trans z-1 and min 34% trans z-2"
I assume this tells us how quickly it dissipates from the collar?

I wonder what the exposure is from grabbing the collar inadvertently while trying to put on a leash.

deknow