From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:15:20 -0500
        I'm getting more reports of colony losses. Some can be explained
by beekeeper ignorance, but some are not. At our last meeting two hobbyists
reported high losses. In one case it was 100% loss of 40 col., in the
other case it was 48 of 50 dead. Both treated with Apistan last fall.
I know them both quite well and inspected their bees myself, so I can
vouch for their capability.

        The most amazing report is from a well respected commercial beekeeper
here in WNY. He has kept bees since 1968 and runs over 1000 col. He has
worked as an Inspector and knows dieases well. Last spring he put two new
Apstan strips in each col., in March, took them out in June. He surveyed
his operation in Sept. and found very low varroa counts. He made an above
average crop. He saw nothing unusual last fall. He lost 80% with PMS
symtoms.

        There is much we don't know and I don't think we have all the tools.

  bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
  b                                                              b
  b    Vince & Carole Coppola                [log in to unmask]   b
  b    Coppola Apiaries,                     (716)965-2904       b
  b    10220 Bradigan Rd.                                        b
  b    Forestville, N.Y. 14062                                   b
  b                                                              b
  b    Queens bred for tracheal mite resistance                  b
  b    Honey , Pollination                                       b
  b    Western New York Beekeepers Association                   b