Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:33:47 GMT
From: Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>

>What concerns me is that folks that are quick to condemn the wanton use of "antiobiotics" are eager to jump on the "probiotic" bandwagon.

I think the idea that we can successfully micromanage the microflora is fundamentally flawed...the very nature of such a system is that it is always "pushing" towards equilibrium or "balance".  This push comes from umpteen organisms competing with one another, providing for one another.

It is a strange competitive dance where only the cooperative thrive.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this list that grew up with Star Trek.  I always think of the basic and simple difference between "The Federation" and "The Klingon Empire".  Cooperative vs Aggressive. [for the real scifi nerd, the same is true with the Man/Khizn wars of Larry Niven]

So often we observe an invasive species dominate and change things drastically...in these complex microbial cultures we see some kind of pressure towards cooperation, a competitive cooperation.

>The fact remains that the microbial world is a scene of many battles, and it is not clear whether a distinction between pro and anti is meaningful at this time.

"Microbes living in a hive perform more functions than the bees do.  They hold thousands of niches in bees and in beehives.  They feed on every waste, capitalize on every opportunity, and compete without mercy.  Unique species of bacillus (a common genus of bacteria) live in the honey stomach of the honeybee, and contribute enzymes used to transform nectar into honey.  Gut bacteria assist the bees in the the digestion and assimilation of nutrients.  Molds, yeasts, and bacteria take turns fermenting pollen, and it becomes beebread, which has twice the the water-soluble proteins as raw pollen and is suitable for long-term storage as a "pollen pickle".

Some microbes that can cause certain diseases in the hive are also responsible for preventing other diseases.  These complex and dynamic microbial relationships will be explored further in Chapter 10. ["The Yin and Yang of Disease"]

Somehow, it all works out that none of these microbes does well in the long run if it crowds the others out.  The successful microbes are those that can take advantage of a situation, but not be overly antagonistic toward the bees or the other microbes.  It is a beautiful system, one in which competitive cooperation is rewarded with community and long-term survival.

Microbes that have a tendency to dominate such a competitive and cooperative environment tend to alter the environment with their waste products or by eliminating their food source to the point where their own survival becomes impossible.  Such microbes are selected against in a natural system, and this is precisely why a natural system must be maintained.  This microbial foundation is necessary to maintain the health and vitality of the honeybee colony."

The Complete Idiot's Guide To Beekeeping (Stiglitz/Herboldsheimer)
P29

deknow