Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 2015 08:01:57 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Re: Why should we care (expanded)

As the originator of this thread, my original intent was to discuss why the general public should care about bees, beekeeping, etc. They have take on this cause because they have been subjected to a barrage of misinformation, sci fi scenarios of a world without bees, without food, etc. 

I have spent considerable time trying to counterbalance this, presenting in public the other side of the story, which clearly shows that pollinators in general are not undergoing a cataclysmic decline. Some species in some areas are failing but over all insect populations are stronger now than they ever have been, despite our attempts to eradicate insects pests.

Perhaps the answer to why people should care about bees is that they already do, even if for the wrong reasons. I suppose we should simply regard that as a "good thing." My feeling about it is people should understand the role of bees and people in the production of food, and beyond that, a sustainable world. 

But there exists a certain mindset that doesn't really care how stuff gets done, as long as they are getting what they want. They really don't want to be bothered, etc

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2