From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 10:08:08 -0500
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Joe, are you setting out swarm traps with lures in order collect colonies
>from remote areas?

Hello Randy!

Yes, lured traps!
I will be doing more trap placement this season.  I get allot of referrals
from a local pest control company that is very pro honeybee.  These swarms
that citizens ‘see’ and report are fun to catch. But for some reason, many
of these fail to thrive during assessments in comparison to the remote
types that I collect, and I imagine many more go ‘unseen‘ and not
reported.

Prime remote areas, as I identify them are areas not near to commercial
beekeeping, and bee prime forage habitat with abundant voids a MUST.  On
the link below I am working on a Feral Survey Part 1 ’Feral Honeybee
Habitat Appraisal-2007’.  The survey includes a grading scale, for the
experimental purpose of assigning a ‘degree of remoteness’ to each
collected feral to see if any patterns of performance evolve in the
assessment process.

The survey will obviously give the impression that most ferals reside in
human populated areas, but where there are more eyes to see a swarm, this
is to be expected.  The survey can only be analyzed in a more complete
form when it is viewed in conjunction with Feral Survey Part 2  ’Feral
Colony Assessment Appraisal-2007’.  Part 2 is intended to survey the level
of performance of each feral starting with colony initiation, on thru 18
weeks of the growth stage.  The surveys in conjunction, should show were
the best ferals and bee habitats are located.

http://www.stellarsurvey.com/response/s.aspx?u=8640

Best Wishes,

Joe Waggle
EcologicalBeekeeping.com