From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2010 07:42:51 -0700
>EPA finds that atrazine does not adversely affect amphibian gonadal
development."

Thank you for the fact check Paul!  And now for the rest of the story...

The above finding does not let atrazine off the hook.  The herbicide
apparently shifts the algal composition of waters, and suppresses amphibian
immune systems, allowing parasitic worms to more heavily infest frogs.

This kind of finding demonstrates the complexity of interactions within a
biological system.  Adding a xenochemical can alter a system in unexpected
ways.  This is why one cannot dismiss potential effects of pesticides based
solely upon lab tests.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2008/10/29-02.html

I personally documented the slow extinction of a Mountain Yellow-Legged Frog
population in the Sierra Nevada over a course of yearly surveys that I
performed.  Very sad to watch a species disappear from an area.  I could go
straight to the rock upon which I would find the last survivor for the last
three years.

Although Bob clearly thinks that I am a pesticide booster, the reality is
that I suspect that we will find more such unintended consequences of their
use, abuse, and overuse.  However, we face a delicate balancing act in
juggling the feeding of our human population, and respect for the other
organisms in our shared environment.  I feel that it is important to base
our actions upon good data and science, rather than simple suspicion and
anecdote.

Randy Oliver