Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 09:44:55 EDT
Hello,

I acquired several hives from the family of a deceased
beekeeper.  He had made hive stands out of concrete reinforcing
rod (3/4 inch dia).  H had set the base of each leg into a
short section of PVC pipe, and filled it partly with concrete,
so as to form a cup around the leg and an enlarged base.  He
would then fill the cup with water or oil to keep the ants out
of the hive.  I have not put anything in these bases myself,
but it seems to be a good idea if one wants to go to the
trouble of building such elaborate hive stands.

Regards,

Fred

(in Virginia)