From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:31:00 -0700

> >In the US there are no bee races; all the bees are a hodge podge.

Pete, prior to the arrival of varroa, there is good genetic data that
genetically different feral populations existed in California, independent
of the genetics of the managed colonies in the areas.  The same holds true
for studies from Turkey and Australia.  It appears to me that "races" of
bees can indeed exist despite exposure to commercial operations.

I would agree that few commercial queens could be honestly classified as
belonging to any "race," but I would not be the least bit surprised if
"races" of ferals are repopulating areas.  This may be an matter of
semantics.

Allen, as far as epigenetic influence of cell size, it would appear to me
that only the reproductives would have a chance of being affected.  I
wouldn't think that the cell size of drones and queens would be affected by
the size of the worker foundation, and thus there would not likely be any
heritable epigenetic effect.

Re fully drawn small cell foundation.  My few test colonies on
HoneySuperCell are still chugging along nicely, with no treatments, or at
most a single winter oxalic treatment (I have not been monitoring them for
mites, but the dang things are thriving).  I plan to split them all soon and
repopulate the rest of my HSC combs.

Randy Oliver