Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2015 14:51:03 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)

Well certainly not caring places you in an entirely different and to my way of thinking not so pleasant crowd.  IMHO we seem to have more and more of the 'I don't care' and 'it is all about me' crowd with every passing day.  This attitude it seems allows some to do exactly what they want with not a care about what the world looks like tomorrow.  
Having a bit more time to ponder and reply today  I wanted to expand,  in case you forgot the original cooments were in regaurds to GMO, ans labeling in particular.Its not that I don't care at all.  not even close  Its much bigger and deeper than that.  Many throw out these types of thoughts without understanding the big picture,  and here in the USA  its getting worse as many get further and further from the food supply.  but lets take it 2 levels.
First  to GMO and labels in generaly.  first of with BT corn,  they horse has left the barn.  kind of silly to lock the door now.  Blame it on our politicians as they approved the process to put it in the market.but step back and look,  at your local super market,  how many of the fruits and vegtables their are new to you?  Kiwi,  starfruit,  and others,  are you sure they are safe?  and at what levels?  The sushi  you eat on friday night,  what do you really know about it?  some species of fish are deadly if improperly prepped.  Take the new Activia,  proboitic concept,  sells big time,  what do we as consumers really know about it?Take a look at the label on your toothpaste,  very intersting mix of chemicals,  some of which have been shown to be very bad for us.  Really read  the label on your ceral.  99% of us have no clue what most of that stuff is,  so what is the point really of telling me the corn mixed in with all those chemicals  is a GMO?  put it there if you like,  but its just more regulation and loony laws in my opinion.

'they bulldozed paradise and built a parking lot' < a line from a silly little song that sticks in my head when folks ask this kind of question.
this line brings up the second,  and very important point.  The whole concept of GMO, frakenfish, BT corn etc  is  to prevent this from hapening.  To make the claim they don't care,  is exactly wrong!   in 1970 our population was 202 million people,  and we farmed just under 500 million acres exports were areound 21%,   today  we feed 340 million  and export closer to 32%.  now the kicker  we farm 440 million acres,  yes  an actually decrease in acerage!!!!  the goal?   simple more yield per acre means less forest cut down for food.   This is the goal for GMO.  More yields less land.    A quick look at india, africa, or south america  will show rapid land use changes for the worse,  while here thats not true at all.

ps...  it is estimated that about 1/3 of the total production of food in the world is wasted or lost.  in second and third world economies with little to no road, railroad or storage facilities this number approaches 1/2.
I would love to see some real data on the above statement.  It is really so silly its not worth discussiong,  but dig into the number,   let see some facts.   But I can assure you given simple mass,  here in the US,  if 1/3 or production ended up in landfills,  they would be quickly overrun.     You can make the argument we waste to much,  but you can also simply make the argument we waste the right amount!  Why do I say that?  food safety.  real simple issue that we as a nation have demanded.  We want experation dates,  and fresh dates  So much we made laws to require it so we don't get salmonilla.  And then when we use this information,  its now waste??  intersting perspective.    While you may argue we never should have thrown out that head of letuce thats brown,  would you say we shouldn't have grown it?  well then if we try to plan ahead in june,  what and how many heads of lettuce we need in nov,  we just got a real complicated food system.   you would need to do your grocery orders months in advance for fruits and veggies,   and steaks 2 years out.  
 Are we ready to go back to that to "cut the waste"??   and are we really ruining the world,  or are we improving it by trying to make more from less and keep our food supply safe?   I for one don't belive we are being selfish or ruining anything for future generations,  I think were makeing quantum leaps in these areas.

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2