From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2016 12:47:36 -0500
I'm contemplating pressure washing the foundation, recoating it with new wax, and installing in new wood frames.

I'm not qualified to comment on the durability of viruses but have for years striped and reused plastic foundation with no observed ill effect. The key to fast stripping is the right heat. Too hot and the plastic bends and deforms, too cool and it is an arduous processes. Far better (IMHO) than pressure washing is  laying the frames out on a rack in the sun and peeling the warmed comb off with a 6 inch drywall knife. I believe the right temp is around 110 F. For me in eastern WA it is a summer job and the frames if set to receive direct sun will be just right in 10 to 15 minutes outside temp maybe 85 or 90. That is about as long as it takes to do a box of 10 deeps. A drum with a couple of re-bar rails on top to place the frames vertically on, a 6" knife and a straw hat is all you need. Experimentation will tell when the wax is just soft enough. When it is the old comb with cocoons peels off in a single sheet just like wallpaper in a couple of seconds. No need to re-coat the foundation, there will be enough wax left and I reuse the frames. My experience is that the bees readily accept it and draw out new comb perhaps faster than with new foundation. My experience is that the economy is real.You trade labor for money. A new frame and foundation is $1.50 and 10 minutes to assemble. I can strip 100 frames in 3 hr. including a sit down and a sip of brew. An oven would probably be even better but this method works good for me.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA